I knew it would happen sometime... and it appears today's the day. Ethan's first trip to the emergency room.
It happened differently than I thought it would - no blood or head injuries. Instead it was a bottle of Triaminic and a 30 second window of opportunity when I adjusted the water level on the washing machine. I had just given him a dose for his cold and when I turned my back he helped himself to the rest of the bottle - probably about 3 oz total. (I don't know who those child-safety caps are made for. I can only imagine it's arthritic people over 70, because they certainly don't seem to deter the little fingers around our house.) So, after a call to poison control, Sam and Ethan headed off to the hospital. I was a little surprised that it required an emergency room visit, I figured they'd have us give him extra water or milk, but now that I've had a chance to do some internet searches (somebody stop me!), I'm a little freaked out. I'm sure he'll be fine, but still... gastric lavage is not something I'm anxious for my three-year-old to experience.
Anyway, since it's Sunday, if you get a chance could you say a little prayer for Ethan to make it through this relatively painlessly?
**UPDATE**
Four hours later, Ethan is fine. They didn't have to pump his stomach - went with activated charcoal instead. He's been very lethargic, though he's reviving enough to be cranky now, and slept for a while at the hospital. Looks like we'll get through this one unscathed and Ethan will have (hopefully) learned the "only take medicine when Mommy or Daddy give to you" lesson. Sheesh!
2 comments:
Ohhhh dear. I'm glad he's better. How very scary!!
Lizzy insisted on drinking milk out of her medicine spoon the other day. Maybe that was one of those battles I should've fought, so as to head off future incidents.
So glad he's ok!
Post a Comment