
As we stood around the water - parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles - we each shared our blessings and desires for his life. We prayed that he would grow up surrounded by grace and would learn to give grace to himself and to others. We prayed that he would know the Lord early in his life. We thanked God for the blessing of having family nearby, as a constant loving influence in his life. And then, in order to further symbolize our desire for our faith to naturally overflow into Keenan's life, Sam held him over the baptismal basin as I poured the water over his head - baptizing him in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
The one thing missing from the service was the blessing that Gigi (Keenan's Great-Gramma Schaddelee) had written for him on his baptism day. I had printed it and left it sitting on my desk. I was so disappointed that we didn't have it there, but I know that her thoughts and prayers were with us, whether I was able to read what she'd written or not. Here is what Gigi wrote for Keenan:Keenan, this is a special day for you and for all who love you.
Your mother and father realize that you are a gift from God in heaven; therefore, they are telling the people who love God that in baptism you, too, belong to the family of God.
The water represents Jesus washing away our sins and making you God’s covenant child. When we, as his children, show our love for God in the way we live, he promises to bless us abundantly.
May you be so blessed!
No comments:
Post a Comment