Thursday, August 18, 2005

Picnicking

The weather has finally cooled down a bit here in VA and we took advantage of it today by heading out to Bull Run for a picnic. We packed up a little cooler and Ethan, Keenan and I hiked across a stone bridge, along a boardwalk and up a hill to an old homesite. The home is no longer there but the site is gorgeous - up on a hill, shaded by old trees, with a gentle but steady breeze. Ethan and I agreed it was a great place to have a house -- and Ethan suggested we buy it. Which was a great idea except for the fact that it's a National Park and if it wasn't a National Park we would never be able to afford it. Which is one of the great things about America - you can take your kids out and enjoy spending an afternoon in a place you would never otherwise have the right to be. I guess in a sense, we already own it, don't we?

1 comment:

Amy said...

I was just at that same spot a week ago. There is something very peaceful in the shade of a ring of trees. I love the way the nearby field rolls off into the distance.